View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 10:15 PM   #317
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

The cab made it on the rotisserie but now I am in a holding pattern. So, it's time for something else ridiculous and completely overdone, the windshield wiper transmission. Again, in an effort to consolidate parts, I decided to assemble my wiper transmission for storage. How did it get disassembled? Well let's go back a few years. When I tore this truck down to the frame, I realized how bad of a job I did when restored these the first time around. I basically just painted over everything and it looks like the were starting to rust again.

I decided a while ago that these things were a mess and decided I was going to build something nicer. I managed to find one side of the transmission in NOS. I never could find the other side, so I found one that was worth restoring. To avoid the rust in the future I decided to drill the rivets out to break everything down and nickel plated the unfinished metal.

I painted the arms and used stainless hardware for reassembly. The factory clips were still in very good condition so I polished them and and did not use the aftermarket ones. I greased the clips and bolts the transmission to the arm. I tightened the bolts just tight enough to keep the transmission rotating freely with just a little drag. To finish it off, I bought a really nice used wiper motor arm from EBAY and I nickel plated an NOS linkage clip. I'll store these away for now.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote