View Single Post
Old 07-07-2023, 04:23 AM   #12
Ironangel

Re: How much did your driveshaft cost? When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I am changing transmissions and have a two piece driveshaft. The rear piece was recently made before I bought the truck and looks "new".
I need the original untouched front shaft remade from scratch.

I have only one place in my town that makes them and they quoted me ~$550 to remake the front shaft from scratch using my measurements.

Does this sound about right?
I just had a two piece rebuilt, new carrier installed, front shaft shortened 1", a 400TH slip yoke with a combination u-joint installed along with both remaining u-joints installed, and the whole unit balanced for $255. Dennys Driveshafts sells their whole rear half driveshaft with a slip joint for $250 https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p22...sli.html#photo So yes, for this area in the Mid-West $550 is a bit high. A two piece shaft needs to be fully assembled with a new carrier bearing before balancing. Never use a billet carrier bearing without using a slip joint in the rear shaft. The factory carrier bearings are mounted in a flexible rubber bulb that allows the bearing to move as the rear axle moves up and down. A billet bearing is fixed in urethane and will not flex, this is why a slip joint is necessary in the second drive shaft.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote