View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 06:18 PM   #330
VWNate1

Thumbs up On The Road Again

Whatever you like to listen to, should drive your choice of onboard entertainment .

Unless the dash has been cut I suggest leaving it alone .

I listen to NEWS and music so I prefer to have an AM/FM radio, I'll always seek out, refurbish and use a stock unit if I can .

My '49 3100 came to me with a massive center console full of fancy audio equipment including a graphic equalizer (? remember those ?) and I junked or gave away everything but the vintage Alpine cassette deck, I put that in the glove box .

Since then cassette tapes have gone the way of the Dodo Bird so now I have in one car an elderly KENWOOD AM/FM/CD Player that's -so- old it was made in Japan (!) . I installed new speakers all 'round and it plays great, it will easily play loud enough to hurt my ears so no need for amps, sub woofers and other things that might cause problems .

My current work truck is a base model with factory rubber floor mats, wind up windows, Vinyl or perhaps Pleather bench seat, super basic and reliable just as I like them (stick shift !), I went junkyard hunting (it's good exercise / P.T. for us Geezers) until I found a fancy model of the same truck that had a CD player and bought it and all the factory harness' for $16 as no one wants CD players anymore, fitted factory premium speakers and hand fitted the factory harness and plugs, MPC's and so on .

It too easily will blast anyone out of the cab and still gets random AM stations when I'm in the middle of nowhere plus it plays all my CDs both purchased and made as I have a wide taste in music .

I'd suggest avoiding the CD players that carry multiple CD's as sooner or later they quit leaving your favorite CD (? maybe) trapped deep inside .

Yes, they're repairable (with help from You Tube) but that's a long & fiddly job, I find the single disc factory fitted CD player works well twenty five years later and this includes getting caught in zero visibility dust storms in Death Valley....

Some are savvy enough to know how to copy (? "rip" ?) your music to thumb drivers and so on, I don't and don't care to learn .

There are my considered comments & thoughts, I plan this old rig to be my last truck and I travel far and wide in it over bad roads, never a hiccup .

FWIW, the factory up grade CD player I'm using was made in BRAZIL and has a large sticker on it "DISCARD IF DROPPED" but it's working *perfectly* and _never_ skips when I'm barreling down a washboard road .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote