View Single Post
Old 07-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #164
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
The panel is looking very good, I see you are making the best out of this nice weather.
I hope to see you on the streets soon.
Great work!
Thanks! I was commuting to Auburn about 10 years ago in this. I’ll be glad to get it back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
based on the painted toy, i'll admit i was not sure about the color choice ... but that last pic there looks solid and i now i really want to see a full shot in the sun. i think i'm starting to see your vision and get on board with it!
I’m not 100% sure about the color either. It’s not exactly what I wanted, but I’m happy with it being closer to done.

I took another stab at the 2nd headliner piece. I set it in place on the passenger side and put a screw in the back. I tried to push the driver side into place and was able to line up the dome light screw holes, I put in those screws. The next day I got the driver side in enough to look good and used single screws in all the mounting holes. Then spent an hour inventorying the rear door fasteners. Next day after work I was at the hardware store for 2 hours picking out fasteners. I painted the heads of some of the bolts.
I was ready to get something done, so I trimmed the headliner and installed the 2 small retainers on each end. The rear retainer went on and it looks good. The front headliner is short on the ends and won’t make it to the windlace retainer, bummer. I decided to ditch the sun visor end brackets and screwed directly to the cab. I used a clamp from one of the center supports and I am happy with how it turned out.
During teardown the left rear door lower lock rod broke in the trunnion of the lock lever. I cleared the bits from the trunnion. I used O-A to weld a bolt onto the lock rod. I heated it up and it fused together. The spring on the lock lever was broken, I got something close. I thought to myself how it’s a good thing that all springs are wound the same way right before I noticed that is not the case here. I made the new spring work. I painted the door latch pieces and installed them. The left rear door closes nicely. The right rear door, I installed the latch mechanism and the handle. It latches but doesn’t close as far as I’d like and the bottom is sticking out. I had found the upper hinge hole was bent on that door. I don’t know how that could have happened since there have always been keepers on both doors. I’m thinking the hinges got bent after teardown. I’ll look at that later.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote