View Single Post
Old 07-25-2023, 12:21 PM   #162
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

I decided to pull half the exhaust back out to install catalytic converters. I originally had intentions of doing this anyway, but after hearing the exhaust I wanted to move this up the list of things to do so I would know for sure what the truck would sound like. I went with some affordable high flow cats from Amazon, which actually turned out to be nice quality. I've read mixed ideologies about whether or not cats will change the sound of a vehicle. After installing them, I will say they did change the sound some, but it is subtle. Idle and accel sound the same, but decel sounds smoother and less raspy. It's more noticeably different in person than in this video for some reason. Overall, I am satisfied with it enough to keep moving on to other things.

One unintended consequence of adding cats was increased temperature under the truck. The floorboard from firewall to under the seat gets so hot you can barely touch it! Honestly, I can't say for sure how much hotter this is than without cats because I didn't touch the floor when I ran the truck before. Regardless, it is too hot to just leave it as is. I am currently brainstorming on how to add some sort of heat shield or wrap on the exhaust.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote