View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
SCOTI

Questions About A Steering Column Failure

I was getting my dually ('89 CC Squarebody) ready for another round of investigation regarding poor performance (after the recent fuel pump/rubber lines replacement) when it died sitting/blocking the main traffic path in my complex. I was working solo & had to get it out of the lane & into a parking spot which entailed pulling the non-running dually into position. The whole process required turning the steering wheel/moving the truck some/turning the wheel/moving the truck etc...

Well, one of the times that I was turning the wheel, the steering suddenly snapped & felt like it sheared or ripped the splines somewhere internally. The Rag-Joint coupler @ the steering box was replaced a while back w/a u-joint style set-up & it appears fine, so it has me guessing something failed within the column.

It's a tilt column so I know if has the pivot knuckle for the tilt feature.
What else inside the column could shear off? It can still steer (slightly) in the p-lot not (the running engine situation was corrected yesterday) but def is not functional or safe for the roads as it's hit & miss as far as engagement.

I figured I would post this up for some feedback before I tear the column apart to figure out what broke & what parts are needed.

Any insight as to what likely failed?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote