View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #12
Chevy nutcase

Re: Weird temp issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
More advanced timing will make them run good.

With ethanol blended fuels, you can probably run a few extra degrees of advance without hurting anything.

If it is having trouble starting, you might have a tad much timing in it. Maybe back it off a tad to find the sweet spot.

I will typically run timing where the shop manuals say, but most of my stuff is stock, points ignition included.

Some will just advance timing at idle until the engine starts sputtering then back off a smidge and lock it down. Others will creep it in until it pings under heavy acceleration then back or off a tad.

Advanced timing brings some spirit back into a tired engine. Just be careful not to do too much because it can cause problems under full advance (high RPM) conditions.

Maybe back or off a third of what you put in and see if it starts better. When I helped my friend with his 250, that's what we did. I balanced the timing between idle misfiring and starting manners until we found a spot where it ran favorably in all places until he could make repairs.

200° isn't terrible temps for an engine if it stays there.

Sounds at least like you're gaining on the problem.

Don't count that radiator out though as you play with it.

Jonathon
I was going to edit my previous message as the last one I wrote was sitting at a mini market which is my turn around point to let it cool for 10 minutes on these test runs. My trip home was much better as the temp gage never got to that H zone. The trip is about 3 miles of 50 - 60 mph and the rest is 2 miles of about 15 traffic lights. And after I let it cool down it had zero trouble starting so yes thank you I think I'm getting in the ballpark. I still think a rogue pocket of air is making the water pump stammer or the pump itself may need replacing. As for the rad itself I only ever knew of one shop that could recore a radiator and he retired long ago. This day and age I imagine if I could find someone to do it the price would easily rival a new aluminum replacement
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote