View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #14
SCOTI

Re: Questions About A Steering Column Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
There is the collapsable joint in the column, nylon or plastic insert to keep the slop out. Similar to the one you need to melt out of the jeep shaft in order to get it to shorten to fit into the truck.

Take a look at the base of your column where the jeep shaft attaches, is the (column) shaft still fully inserted in the column? If that internal plastic insert is broken it lets the lower (column, not jeep) steering shaft move in/out.

Lower column bearing compromised? Having to manhandle it may have pushed it over the edge. More wobble there = more overall play/wobble when combined with the additional joints in the jeep shaft.
I've also noticed that my jeep shaft has developed play already after two years of daily driving (I'm using an Omix-Ada). Which is a bummer, but still hasn't gotten as bad as the old rag joint. yet.
Thanks for the suggestions to look at.

I've been hinderd moving forward until I have help turning the wheel so I can see whats happening under the hood. My neighbor said he'll prob be by the shop later today so maybe I can narrow the scope on what gave out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote