View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 02:10 PM   #186
PowerdbyChevy79

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Thanks y'all! So far she's running really well. Overall, I am happy with the baseline I have to work with now. There are a few things that still need attention, but it is drivable as is. There is a weird scrubbing sound when I first start moving. Almost like the brakes are dragging but then it goes away all of a sudden. It will return if I coast down to that slow speed again without the brakes, so I don't think it's them. Still trying to source that sound. Also, the driveshaft still has a slight vibration. I've managed to eliminate most of it, but I have gone both directions on my carrier shims and it's still there. Next I think I need to recheck my pinion angle and possibly reshim that. Lastly, the manual steering is better than it was with these new alignment specs but it is still a chore. I am currently looking into which power steering box I want to use. I'm torn between a stock box and one of the later variable ratio boxes. On my old truck I swapped to a variable ratio and didn't like it much, but I felt like the box I got was junk and I didn't get a good feel for what that box would be like.

1972 GMC Walkaround - YouTube

1972 GMC LS Swap takeoff - YouTube

Aside from all that, I did get the chance to drive my truck to work for the first time. This is always a milestone voyage for my builds since work is about an hour away. Other than me melting in this NC heat, the truck handled it flawlessly. The only thing I'm kind of bummed about is the gas mileage. I was expecting closer to 20 mpg but I'm roughly at 15-16 mpg. Granted, it could be my heavy foot during all these test drives!

This stance is on point!!
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote