View Single Post
Old 08-20-2023, 09:15 PM   #187
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty stoked with the stance as well. It was A LOT of work to get it this low with basically stock suspension components, but it was worth the effort. I've just been putting miles on it now trying to work out the bugs. The driveshaft vibration is a constant reminder that I still have work to do. I decided to climb under the truck and actually measure my angles and I came to the realization that I was way off with my first set of estimates. The first set of angles here are my measurements and the arrow indicates direction referenced from front to rear. The ideal setup has the first shaft and pinion at the same angle and direction so they are parallel to eachother. As you can see from my numbers, the first shaft and pinion are pointed in opposite directions with 2 degrees between them. This gives me different operating angles on the universals (5.6 and 3.8) which is a definite source of vibration. With that in mind, I figured I had to add more shim to the carrier and change my pinion angle so it matches the first shaft.

I went as high as I could on the carrier which set it to within 1/4" of the floor! This got me to 0.8 degrees down on the first shaft. Based on my initial measurements, this meant I had to rotate the pinion up by 1 degree to match. I decided to cut this angle into my drop blocs instead of changing my 4 degree pinion shims because I could not find 3 degree shims. Due to a blunder on my part, I ended up with 1.3 degrees on my bocks. Despite this, I was able to get the two angles within 0.2 degrees of eachother which is well within variation under driving conditions. With these changes, there was a noticeable improvement in the vibration. There is still a slight shudder under moderate acceleration from a stop, but I'm starting to lean towards this being loss of traction. At this point, I have the angles as close as I can possibly get them. If this shudder bothers me I may look into swapping to one of those poly center bearings.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote