Thread: 47-55.1 Crack in the cross member
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 01:46 AM   #16
mr48chev

Re: Crack in the cross member

That Tubular strut rod with the bushing on the end is the original that I showed the Speedway knockoff of in post 11. Those worked pretty good and solved a problem when they came out.

I've got a buddy who's son owns one of the up and coming rod building shops in the PNW and is getting well known in the whole US who lost count of how many of the original MII front ends he put under cars and trucks in the 80's and 90's. Possibly starting in the 70's. He pretty well cleaned the wrecking yards in the area out of Pinto, Bobcat and MII front suspension setups in those days.

You could walk into the Ford dealership parts counter and buy a complete new crossmember for 111,-- around 1980.
The upper ball joint is the same one that is used in every Full size Ford from 1958 unil 1978 including Lincoln MKIV. I pointed that out to a couple of guys who said that the ball joints on the MII were too weak to have on hot rods.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote