View Single Post
Old 09-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #318
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Glad you are getting some time on this rig and are getting ahead of the uncooperative parts. Above, you said Model As? I'm curious about that. Is that your yellow one?
Yes sir... That's my '30 Cabriolet I bought @ the start of the Pandemic. It was a non-running car that's been mothballed more in life than not.

The last time it was taken off the road was because of an engine issue (bottom end knocking). We got it running & it def had something going on. We pulled it apart & found the timing gear was coming apart causing the noise & the cylinders looked good. We re-freshed the stock flat-4 (dingle-ball honed the cylinders + fresh rings) & cleaned up the stock pistons. I got a 'B' head & water pump w/the car when I bought it so we sourced a 'B' cam to compliment it (the 'B' set-up is .5 higher compression + higher flow water pump). We added electronic ignition as it was already converted to 12v. so the ignition was an easy/smart upgrade.

We re-freshed the 3.78 ratio rear end (bearings/seals) as well as the OE non synchronized 3spd. My buddy found a new/old Mitchell OD (similar to a GV or Volvo high/low splitter) @ an estate sale so I bought it for better gearing splits.

This years upgrades were swapping the mechanical drum brakes for a '39-48 hydraulic drum set-up. And.... because I lower every car I keep, we swapped a 4" 'Okie Joes' dropped axle & 1" Posies rev.-eye drop spring up front. Reversed the rear spring eyes & removed a couple leafs for ~6" drop. Swapped from the original up-draft style to a down-draft intake/carb set-up w/a fresh Stromberg 97 & added a low psi/volume inline electric fuel pump + a Reds 4-into-1 header.

I/we did Pikes Peak in June. Reached the summit (14,100ft) just removing the air cleaner (*barely made it but it did make it). It's been a fun project & I've learned a bunch about these cars in the process.

*I give major props to my young-gun neighbor (James) whose family has been involved in the Model-A scene for decades. He grew up immersed in them & soaked up significant knowledge & is the driving force behind the mechanicals of the car. We work well together & he's like the son I never had.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote