Thread: 47-55.1 garage pics
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #40
dsraven

Re: garage pics

I have to agree about the led lights. I have several led lights for trouble lights and use them all at some point or another. the classic handheld non bending style about a foot long, rechargeable, the thinline style about a foot long but bends in the middle and has a magnetic base (my go to lately), the short "big larry" flashlight with a magnetic base (2 of those plus a shorter version) get used a lot for tight spots, a couple of headband style but since I wear a bump cap when working in tight spots they don't get used as often. in the shop I have 4ft led light bars that look like the old fluorescent lights but are a lot brighter and work without an ssue when the shop is cold. a doule long strip above the workbench at the front of the sgop, a string down the middle between the 2 bays and a string down each side wall about the 8 ft mark. my cieling is 10 ft and I have a shelf set up about 18 inched down from that, my light strips are on a 45 degree angle attached to the under side of the shelf on each side wall. same above my workbench except they shine straight down. even at that it seems like when doing brakes etc the area is shadowed and a trouble light is needed. I have a base from an office chair that I extended vertically and have a light that I can hang on that so it is mobile and is at the same level as most work like brakes or stuff that is close to the floor. it is also handy for doing bodywork to check the reflection and see if a panel is straight or not. it does kinda get in the way though.
incandescent lights gat hot, run 110 volts so gotta be a little more aware when doing metal work, have a cord that is always getting snagged or is just a foot short and the darn bulb is always blowing. I worked with a fella who was doing dash work on his mid 90's truck, he used an old fashioned 110v trouble light. he didn't realize how hot it got until he smelled hot plastic from his dash melting.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote