Thread: In-N-Out Burger
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #73
Sheepdip

Re: In-N-Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I think that is more of an artifact of passing generations. There is a huge difference between "cooking" and "heating something up"
Most folks today can't cook from scratch. They have grown up with mostly prepared (and frozen) or fully cooked, just needing a microwave.
Making hand cut fries is way more of an artform simply throwing thm in some hot oil. Cooking them twice (pre blanching and then final crisping) is the key.
Some people also like a saltwater soak first too. The salt will draw some of the natural moisture out, resulting in better overall cooking. They don't even start to brown until that moisture is gone or you burn up the outside and mushy in the middle.

ETA, I like me some In-N-Out, Jack in the Box, or Whataburger, but I think it's mostly because they aren't available here. The closest any of these places is to me is the In-N-Out in East St.Louis. Its about 8 hrs west.
In High School I actually worked at Mc Donald's back when they still had the Golden Arch's on the building, no lobby and walk up windows. French Fries where cut, soaked and drained twice, blanched then hung to cool and the secret was it all was cooked in Beef Tallow. Somewhere along the line the gubberment decided that was bad for us so they outlawed it's use in restaurants, I now understand Mickey D's puts beef bullion in their fry oil now to somewhat simulate that effect.

So if you want really good homemade FF's rinse twice, blanch, cool and refry all in Beef Tallow. And on another note if someone wanted salt free FF's which was rare, we took a bag of salted FF's and dumped right back in the fryer for about a minute or less and the oil lifted the salt off.... then re-bagged them.
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote