View Single Post
Old 10-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #198
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

I had just a few more things I wanted to get done on the truck before I head to the Fall Revival (which is tomorrow!). First up was some 3 point belts. I didn't like riding around with the lap belts, so I ordered a set from Seatbelt Planet. They have a great selection of colors and I ended up going with electric blue. They are a close match to the original belts and will fit the interior scheme perfectly once I add carpet and a new seat cover. The only thing I had to do to make these work was make a bracket to mount the retractor. Since I don't have the tank in the cab, I was able to set the retractor back behind the b-post. My daughter is safety focused and approves of the new belts!

I also wanted to try and fill in some of the gaps that were left from raising the bed floor. At this point, I was running low on sheetmetal and time to order more, so I made what I could. I fabbed up a center filler piece between the stock gravel guards. Why GM left this gap I have no clue, but it looks much better filled in.

After these final upgrades, I wanted to put some more miles on the truck around town to work out any bugs. I'm glad I did because my engine started missing under part throttle. I drove the truck a few times trying to figure out what was going on until it got to the point where it went into limp mode and threw a code. The truck would idle but I had no throttle pedal response. The P0120 code indicated that I had a APP sensor issue, so I ordered a new sensor for the pedal and swapped it in. I also read that if you do not have a pedal stop and you go beyond 100% throttle the PCM will freak out and go into limp mode. For safe measure, I decided to add a quick and dirty adjustable stop so I can dial the pedal in to exactly 100% at max throw.

After swapping the sensor out I drove the truck about 50 miles with no problems and then I had another issue. One morning I started the truck and I had no pedal response and the P0120 code again. This time I had to clear the code, restart the truck, and then it was fine. This makes me think the sensor was not the issue, but at this point I have not had a chance to dig into it any further. I have since put another 100 miles on the truck with no issue. I feel like the underlying issue is still lurking, however, it's intermittent enough that I am still going to give it a go at making it to the Revival. Hopefully worst case scenario will be another code that I can clear and keep truckin'. After the show I will park the truck and try to sort out the issue. I will update this thread after the show and hopefully I will have some event photos to share!

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote