View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 12:04 PM   #23
dmjlambert

Re: Safety wire accessory hex-shaped clips

I kind of like the Nord-Lock washers idea. I have imperfect surfaces on engine head and exhaust manifolds, so I use gaskets. I've already tried cleaning the surfaces well and installing without gaskets, and it leaks. I'm going through gasket recommendations found on this forum, it's either going to be Fel-Pro or Remflex next. Mr. Gasket and Cometic armored didn't work out so well. Are Nord-Lock washers OK for use with gaskets? Remflex gasket has lower torque recommendation at 20 ft-lb than Nord-Lock washers at 31 ft-lb so I'm wondering if the Nord-Lock washers will lock adequately at 20 ft-lb. I've usually followed the service manual torque values, which are higher torque on the inner bolts and lower on the outer bolts, but those values would not be designed for gaskets, so what to do. I'm leaning toward safety wire because I think it will be easier than bending tabs when dealing with cramped quarters working on it with the engine installed, and there is not an additional torque value to consider because I would follow the Remflex value.

I didn't know I had to work on getting the exhaust manifolds right and repeat work until I found the right formula. On most areas of the truck I just go to the car parts store and get whatever I need and install it and I'm done, but apparently there are lessons to be learned on exhaust manifold gaskets.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote