View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 01:12 AM   #20
mr.mud1

Re: Starter options?

hi Tony.just my 2 cents worth,when my truck was apart and on the way back together,i noticed the top of the solenoid,where it sits there under the pass side exhaust manifold, burnt right through,you could see the guts inside but the old thing started the engine?but of course not for long and i couldn't put it back together like that so i went to my local auto parts store man for a new solenoid.he talked me out of a handful of parts,said a new Wilson rebuilt was $77.00 and the parts i wanted were nearly that much,so off i went with a new one.re-installed it and went about finishing the truck.when it was time to start the fresh engine,it started but i wasn't long noticing,it wouldn't start warm so i did all the regular things,checked and re-checked timing,grounds,cables,charging rate and so on.everything seemed fine and when cool,it would take right off.i pulled the new starter off to have a look and when i layed the new on on the floor beside the old one,there were a bunch of things i noticed different and it was lighter.i wasn't impressed so i went back to the store,got a new solenoid,brushes,bushings,serviced the armature and rebuilt my original starter and i'm very happy with it.it starts,always first click of the key.i notice my 67 Impala wagon,with another one of these "new" rebuilt Wilson starters doing the same thing,doesn't start well when it's warm.i have the original starter from that car and plan to do my own sometime when they all come out of hibernation.i'm sure there are other ways to do it now and seems like the newer,lightweight starters do fine but for me,if i can salvage the old original,that's ok too,and remember to re-install the brace on the front of the starter to the block.it does weigh a ton.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote