View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #24
chevmn

Re: Starter options?

I replaced bearings (bushings), brushes, and cleaned up the factory starter on my 72 402 truck and the truck only had 62,000 original miles, but I continued to have starting issues after getting it to the point I was moving it around, and finally got fed up, and bought one of the new smaller starters for a mid 90's 454 Surburban. So far, so good, and it spins over much faster than the old starter. With shipping from Rock auto it was under $100. Pretty sure the issue with the old starter is simply in the armature, but not something I was going to attempt, and there are no starter repair shops in my area, and it is very likely the cost would exceed what I paid. I have read far too many horror stories on reman starters and I am not fond of being left stranded with one that failed early in its life. Time will tell I guess. One thing no one thinks about is the ground path. Years ago I fought with starter issues on an older tractor. Somone asked if I cleaned up the mating surfaces, and mount bolts (never gave it a thought). Many paint the block, and/or starter and never think that the other side of the circuit is where starter mounts, and if it is painted or dirty, you may as well paint the cable ends as well.....I cleaned the starter and block, and no more issues with the tractor starting.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote