View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #18
Thadious

Re: Mustang II IFS Ride Quality VS S10 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjcolbyjack View Post
The mountaineer chassis is very well built imo. They are set up for a v8, standard awd, 4wheel disc, IRS and have a closer wheelbase to the ad than a s10. The explorer is also the same chassis without all the extras. Both can be found for way cheap.
This is the route that I took. Started with an 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer that came with the V8. It's a good solid frame, a little wider than an S10 and will require some sheetmetal reworking at the back of the cab depending on how low you set the cab on the frame. The frame will also need to be stretched about 3+ inches in the middle to get the right wheelbase, but the track width is much better and any offset you need to make it sit right right is easily accomplished by wheel offset, not spacers.

I ended up using Tacoma struts in the front, utilizing the Tacoma coil, but clipping the top off about 1" and using the top "hat" from the explorer. Have to make a couple adapters on the bottom to stop it from moving side to side. Dropped the front about 2.5"

In the rear, a set of struts from an 03 Crown Victoria replated the top mount of the strut bracket to accept the bolt pattern of the new strut and welded it all into place. Dropped the rear 3".

This is not an easy swap, just to be clear. You must have some good fab skills and some tools to make it all work. There isn't much for aftermarket lowering of an Explorer/Mountaineer suspension, only the lowering springs out there, so you're going to need to be creative.

The IFS/IRS, all wheel disc brakes, 8.8" rear limited slip dif and rack and pinion steering is what's keeping me on this build.

I can go on with a lot more of the changes and fabrication to make this work, but rest assured, it's not a simple swap. That being said, should make a great driver.

Oh, and used sbc 350 TPI from a 91 Camaro for the heart, just love the looks of them motors!

Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote