View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 09:42 AM   #854
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

I've been taking care of many other odds and ends on the truck so I haven't put gas in the new tank yet.

One thing I did is install the factory style headliner and the most pathetic design of a retaining rubber piece. I attempted this project before, this time I decided I was going to win, nearly 6 hours later I won. I'd like to know how this was installed at the factory going down the assembly line? I did make a tool that I could pull the metal lip down to get the proper opening to fit the rubber into, it helped a lot.

Since we talked about zip ties and I prefer to stay away from them, I do however enjoy making brackets. If I can make them for my exact purpose and still look like an original piece, mission accomplished. If I can, I will weld the nuts on the backside to make the assembly easier, even these little number 10 screws. I ran the braided lines under from the frame, to the floor then over the bell housing, next to the distributor to the regulator. It's a clean look, all well supported and I plan on installing A.C. sometime, so I still have space for the compressor.

We touched on the tank vent line and how I make a support on the back of the tank where the line snaps into. From that point the line goes into the rear inner fender opening and I made brackets to support it as high up as I can.

The top aluminum piece is a safety check valve and was a screened opening on the hidden side. I like to put a fuel filter in also, mainly to keep the tank from freely breathing when it sits in a garage, I find it helps keep the garage from smeeling like gas.
Attached Images