View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
cerial

Re: '87 GMC coil spring removal.

I have a safe methoud but it only works with rides that have the shock going down the middle of the coil.

https://youtu.be/EAnL4LaaIfM?si=y4dKAhaianSEAuZ2

With a C/R I compress the lower A arm then get two 3300lb ratchet straps(with the dualhook) and have them pulling the coil up against the frame. The 2 straps go to the fender inside and the radiatior core support.

Once again your compressing up against the frame ratcheting one then the other after you compressed it as much as you can with the jack. Your goal here is to your keep that coil as straight as possible so you can easily bring the lower control arm back up after switching out the spindle/hub.

Idealy you just use the ratchet straps to hold the coil in place up against the frame.

If your completely removing the coil then you can drop the lower A arm with the spring held by the straps . Then you can use compressiors that go on the outside of the spring to compress it a bit more leaving the hooks in place and set the compressed coil somewhere safe flat on the shop floor.

Once your ready for the coil you put tge lower A arm up, position the coil, hook up the ratchet straps so the coil is pushing up against the frame, remove the outside compressiors, compress the A arm jooking everything back up including tire, then remove the ratchet straps and set the thing down on the ground.

Someone is going to give me heck here. But getting a spring compressing tool inside that C/R coil is a pain then your really not compressing the spring much. By just having the ratchets holding the coil you can do the spindle with the coil pushed against the frame and not completely removed.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build

Last edited by cerial; 12-09-2023 at 06:28 PM.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote