Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 10:32 PM   #5
GMCRepair

Re: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
Photos would help a lot. If these trucks have been in the Seattle area their whole lives, rust is a definite possibility. Cab corners, rocker panels and floor pans can all be replaced fairly easily if you have the skills but then you're talking about a repaint. The more troublesome rust area is the windshield frame as stated previously. If you notice any evidence of surface rust around the windshield gasket it's probably rusted underneath and that isn't such a straightforward fix. The drip rails also rust but unless they've been completely neglected that's usually just digging out the old weatherseal, sanding the rust and re-sealing. Lastly, door bottoms should be checked especially if the rockers are rusted. Those are a tougher fix too.

You've been on this forum a long time so I'm assuming you know about these trucks - mechanically there's nothing that can't be fixed and I'm far from the world's best mechanic and I've done most of it myself. Mechanical parts are still mostly available from the FLAPS, and the classic vendors have all the Taiwanesium knick knacks you can't find elsewhere.

I guess the question is what will these trucks cost you, and what will they cost you to get to the condition you want them to be?

Is the 67 a small window? Love me those small window trucks.
The 67 is the small window cab.

As for the cost, about a year ago I bought my in laws 2001 Tahoe for 1500 bucks.

The deal my father in law proposed is giving back the Tahoe and taking the trucks off his hands as he has come to the realization he will not be able to restore them as he wanted given current health issues.

I had been talking with him for the last 5 years to do something with them.

The 67 came from Montana at least 30 years ago and the 71 is from the Seattle area.

I am leaning to taking the deal as i am handy with tools, and I know I can find body parts.

I am considering selling the 67 and using what I get from it for the 71, but I haven't done an in depth exam of the trucks yet.

Both will have to be towed, as I don't know that I would trust the 71 on the road, I am pretty sure I could get it running.

I hope to get some photos later this week.

Last edited by GMCRepair; 01-08-2024 at 10:52 PM.
GMCRepair is offline   Reply With Quote