View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 11:54 AM   #174
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Series View Post
I started this build thread on 5/30/19. I drove the 1947 panel truck, and the 1988 K2500 to a shop around 9/6/19. It was in the shop for a year. In that time they removed both bodies from the frames. A jig was made to locate the body mounts. The ends of the donor frame were modified and outriggers were attached. The rear axle was moved back a few inches. The ’47 body was set on the donor frame for mock-up. A custom core support was fabbed and the front sheet metal fitted. The Steering Column, Brake and Clutch pedals mounted. Fuel filler relocated to driver side, Parking brake lever bracket fabbed and mounted to the right of the floor shifter. The body and engine were removed from the donor frame and the body mounts were welded on. Frame painted. I reworked the original bed wood. Body and engine back on the frame, and sheet metal set in place. I hauled the project home on 11/4/20.

The second year was slow but steady. I had a custom radiator built and I installed it. I moved the axle bumps, and rear shocks back and fabbed an upper shock bracket for the passenger side, the start of my welding experience with O-A. I fabbed a spare tire mount, and the exhaust, the start of my welding experience with Gmaw. I lowered the gas tank to modify one of the body mounts that was making contact with a fuel line. I fabbed a bracket and mounted the parking brake lines. Installed the front Brake line, and Hydraulic Clutch line. Modified the connecting rods for the Brake and Clutch masters. Fabbed a stiffener plate for the firewall mounted masters. Painted the inside of the dash and the firewall. Painted the interior cargo area and installed the bed wood. Installed a driver seat, Rebuilt the steering shaft with longer dd stock. Modified the power steering lines. Fabbed brackets and installed cooler radiators for the steering and oil. Repaired a broken fitting on the engine for the coolant. Had some hoses made for the oil cooler.

The Third year of the build, 12/9/21 I started to cut wires on the harness. I found the cowl vent conflicted with the brake pedal bracket, so moved the brake pedal bracket over and installed the cowl vent. Fabbed a bracket and installed the gas pedal. Installed the foot starter button and linkage. Fabbed a bracket and mounted a button for the starter linkage. Cut and spliced the engine wiring harness to the cab wiring harness. Wired in a DRAC. Installed a firewall pad. Fabbed a bracket for the T-case shifter, installed it. Cut a battery box into the inner fender. Painted the dash. Fabbed a bracket and mounted the fuse panel. Wired in some relays for the starter circuit. Painted and installed the inner fenders. Restored the heater and installed. Replaced the Distributor, Then the engine fired right up! I mounted the spare tire and rear bumper and drove the truck onto my property on 6/24/22. It had been in the street until then. I burned out the battery running without a voltage gauge or load resistor, so replaced the Battery and installed the donor gauge cluster for the time being. Modified the Brake and Clutch linkages to lower the pedals. Adjusted the door gap with a 2x4 and brute force. Removed the door hinges and striker plates. Painted the hinges. Found the hood threads had been rethreaded for coarse screws, modified some coarse screws with shoulders. Tried to paint the underside of the hood in sub 50s weather.

Getting into the Fourth year of the build, I’ll have to wait for warmer weather for some painting. I’ll work on what I can during the winter.
In the 4th year of the build I used Oxy-Acetylene to fill the old mirror holes in the cowl and doors, and repaired a tear in the rear door sheet metal. I reworked the doors. The rear doors I painted, rebuilt the interior latch system, installed weatherstrip and glass, and mounted on the truck. They close nicely. The front doors I painted, added hush mat, added a key lock to the driver side, installed the glass and rubber etc. These doors close well. I applied primer and then single stage paint to almost everything on the truck. Installed the windshield, external sun visor, cab headliner, and cab windlace. Hood installed and adjusted, front sheetmetal, runningboards and rear fenders in place. Installed rear Bullet lights, and side cowl vent cover. Refinished the interior cargo panels. Mounted and wired the front lights. Installed shoulder seat belts. Currently wiring underdash. I’m just not motivated to work out in the cold, but I am ready to get this on the road, so close.
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote