View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 12:01 AM   #157
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
It really hurts to see that cap. It's unfortunate but... buying a used engine is always a gamble. This teardown will give you a chance to confirm the rest of the engine is in great condition and you will have peace of mind that is reassembled to your standards.

Nice job cleaning the timing plate. I would probably think about replacing the well used countersunk screws in the timing plate with Allen head screws if they are available.

Following up on the comment about Roloc discs, it's probably a bad idea to clean any internal engine parts with abrasive discs. The abrasive material erodes and ends up all over inside the engine. Better to use a bristle disc.
For sure the countersunk screws are getting replaced. Good idea on making Allen head, the flat bladed versions are a PITA.

The cleaning was done with a Vapor Hone that I have access to (120 psi air, water and zinc oxide) it does a nice job. The same facility also just added a powder coating oven, so some of the small part (no engine block ones) will get a nice coat of powder.

Thanks for the link on the disc, I'll order one tonight.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote