View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 12:07 AM   #158
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
when I do an engine tear down I usually clean all the gasket surfaces on the block and head(s) and run a tap through all the threaded holes and then clean it all thoroughly. if it is getting dunked I still do all the mating surfaces first even though they may need or get a touch up after dunking. I try to use hot water when doing the final rinse, because it dries faster, and then I use a light oil like wd40 sprayed on the bare metal so it doesn't rust right away. when drying off after this I use compressed air and start with the blind holes to blow everything out, then oil galleries and cylinder bores and finally the large surfaces. then a wrap in plastic or a garbage bag to cover things up so they don't collect dust while waiting for assembly. this way all the grindings, rag lint, etc etc is washed away. dish soap works well on the cylinders to clean after a honing. oven cleaner works well on the cast parts as long as there is no aluminum or bearings in the area and then plan to wash it all well after.
Good info thanks for all the tips.

Spoke with my engine builder buddy this evening. He's recovering from Covid and is about to get back on things for me. We discussed several alternatives and I expect to get my engine to him in the next two weeks. In the meantime, I'm busy cleaning up my wiring, brake lines and generally cleaning the engine block.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote