View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 12:00 AM   #7
jocko

Re: K20 Frame/C10 Body Restoration/Registered as a C10 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli54 View Post
There is a very nicely restored 1971 Chevy K20 registered as a 1971 C10 as the original cab was swapped out with a rust free C10 cab. They then used the C10 VIN to register the truck. This came up on another nice truck I was looking at this week. Is this fairly common when restoring these older trucks? What would you or should I be concerned about when looking at these types of restorations? Does it negatively impact long term value or does the quality of the restoration and having a clean truck out weigh that issue?

Thanks in advance!
My 2 cents only. Yes it negatively affects actual resale value and it will shrink the potential buyer pool if/when you decide to sell it in the future. If you personally are looking for a "restored" 71 K20, then I'd walk away from this one and keep searching for what you really want (especially if the seller's asking price is on par with an actual restored 71 K20). On the other hand, if YOU aren't concerned about the VIN mismatch - AND - the seller isn't advertising it as a restored truck (and asking a price isn't on par with a real restored K20), then by all means, there's nothing wrong with going down that road. But it cannot, by definition, be a "restored" 71 K20 with a C10 cab on it. It can still be a great truck to own though. All depends on asking price and what you really want.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote