Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 12:46 AM   #45
GMCRepair

Re: Advice needed

Thanks to those who weighed in on this. I realize everyone has their own level of what is acceptable and wht is not when it comes to evaluating rigs of this nature.

These trucks are well over 50 years old at his point, I have been associated with them for goin on 21 years now, so I know a little of the history of them.

They are very special to my father in law, even in the condition they are currently in, so i am a bit humbled that he made the offer in the first place, as it is a vote of confidence from him that I possibly can get one of them roadworthy, and my focus will most likely be the 71, given that i could get it running with a battery, fresh gas and a bit of ether ( though there is no way i would drive it). Plus I have driven the 71 before.

Things I found during my inspection were rust in the normal spots along bottom of cab on the drivers side, the drivers door is rusted through in two spots on the bottom, front and back. The seat is destroyed on the drivers side. I am pretty sure the gas tank is shot as well, but i think i have a line on on one.

The 67 is a 4 speed truck, with what i am told had a new clutch installed a few month after it was parked, as to why it got park I am unsure.

I am not going into this lightly, my father in law can no longer do what he would like with them, so now its my turn, full disclosure, I brought up the idea of buying them almost 10 years ago, but he wasn't ready to part with them yet.

The lat time the 67 was on the road was 95 according to the tab on the plate, and the last time the 71 was driven was in 2011, and I know it was driven quite a bit up to that point.

Again thanks for the responses, much appreciated. This is going to be an interesting ride.
Attached Images

GMCRepair is offline   Reply With Quote