Thread: Carb swap
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 12:18 AM   #1
novaX522

Carb swap

My truck had a 600 cfm edelbrock carburetor on it when I bought it. It runs great 99% of the time. It’s downfall was it bogged when you floored it. Drove me nuts. I tried several things, but it still had a bog.
I know Holley carbs. They’re what I’ve always used and what I’m comfortable with. I asked my friends if they had a Holley in the 600-750 range I could try. My father in law had a 750 in a box on his shelf. Unfortunately mice had chewed through the box and crapped and pissed all over it. It looked disgusting.
I took it home and tore it completely apart. Luckily the inside was in great shape. I bagged up all the metal pieces and sent them with my friend that has a sonic cleaner. The finish was damaged, but looked way better than when I found it. I put it all back together and had to order a few things. I ordered a new fuel line, several vacuum fittings, and a 1” spacer for clearance.
Got it on the truck and it fired right up and idled. Took it for a test drive and it had a damn bog. lol At least I knew what to do on this carb. I started with the basics. Adjusted idle circuits and idle speed. Then I tried a bigger squirter, which didn’t help. Put the smaller squirters back on and adjusted the accelerator pump cams to start sooner and that was the trick.
Now the truck starts, idles, shifts smoothly, trans kicks down when floored. It runs as nice as the edelbrock did in normal driving. But it’s a whole other animal when it’s floored. It’s really a pleasure to drive now.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote