View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #15
1972CheyenneSuper

Re: power steering box question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
I'm not positive on the years, but at some point the gear box fittings changed from inverted flare to metric o-ring. If your fittings don't match, then the box or the hoses are not matching. The pressure metric is 18mm, conversely the inverted flare is 11/16" or 17.46mm. Just to give you an idea of which is larger. I believe 1979 was the last year for inverted flare. I wonder if the aftermarket no longer supplies any new or rebuilt Saginaw steering gear boxes with inverted flare fittings. Are your hoses inverted flare or metric o-ring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Do you have a photo of the "yellow thing"?

There are no metric fittings on 69-72 truck steering boxes, so I'm 99% sure that would be true for your 67. The 82 C10 that I owned for a few years did have metric fittings, but I don't know which year GM started doing that.

Good point made by Dashman about brand new boxes made for older trucks possibly having metric fittings. But all I've ever seen is rebuilt OEM boxes.

Funnily enough I ran into that last month when I went to put new calipers on my '72. I had bought a pair of new AC Delco's for the front about four years ago and finally got to the point of installing them. Passenger side was fine, I got to the driver side and could not get the banjo bolt to thread in. Tried the bolt on the other side and that worked. I was real close to running a tap in to clean up the end, then I decided to throw a metric bolt in just to see and it went right in. My research showed that around roughly '79 they switched to metric threads on those as well. My only guess is whoever was machining new calipers didn't change the tooling for the next batch of older parts. It was a head scratcher for a little bit.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote