Thread: Trans Ams
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 08:38 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Trans Ams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I bought a 1977 Trans Am, May 7th, 1977, black. It didn't have lots of options, mostly the stuff that didn't cost a lot. It did come with AC, AM/FM radio.
No electric windows, locks or 8 track, or T tops, thankfully.
Mine came with the lowest HP Pontiac 400. It ran pretty good. Was fun to drive, got 20 MPG easily. I couldn't find ANY info on the rear gear ratio??? When I did, I laughed discovering why it was NOT advertised, it had the 2.41 gears, although a posi. I've read tht ALL T/A's had posi...

Best part is I still have it. Bringing it back to life. It's never been wrecked, just needs TLC.
I had a '69 Camaro with a 327 and a 4-speed that got that kind of mileage (best, just over 24). It would turn high 15s in the 1/4, but I could get 140+ MPH out of it in the Nevada desert, back before the speed limit was reduced. I had a '66 LeMans with an RAIII 400 that I blew up in '75 driving through Nevada. I wound the snot out of it. Didn't realize how tight, until I went through a dip and the tach needle, which was sitting on 5500 (adjustable redline) popped over to 6800. DOH! By the time I slowed to 80, I could hear all those rods knocking. Spun 4.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote