View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Staceydude

4X4 to 2WD conversion questions again.... JONBOY and whomever else might have info

Hey All,

I am to broke to do this right now but thinking very very hard about it.

I did converse with Jonboy about this once and have tried to do searches on it to no avail.

So here goes....

I have this 81 4X4 K5 right now. It is currently sitting here basically stripped down for the most part. It is together enough to drive and has a great midly built Small-block in it. The body itself is extremaly rust free. It has had two patch panels welded aft of the rear wheel and has like three little spots in the floor but compared to alot I have seen this thing is definetly worth fixing. It is near ready to paint and put back together.

My dilema... I have had more built 4X4s in my life than I can count. Everything from a highly lifted 1 ton with 44 boggers to Jeeps both CJ-7s and a radically built Jeep Cherokee. Old and new model Broncos.... etc..etc...etc...

Frankly I am kinda tired of 4X4s...I HAVE NEVER EVER had a built slammed two wheel drive truck!!!

I have the itch and I am wondering if it would be worth converting the K5 to a two wheel drive model...

Jonboy has looked into this a bit and he thinks the best route would be to buy a wrecked up two wheel drive Suburban and rip the front suspension off of it and bolt it onto the Blazer. This also seems like a great idea. I just left the wrecking yard and there is a huge amount of two wheel drives Burbs to chose from. I even found a 454 model missing the motor but with the crossmember etc if I wanted to go big block...

My questions is will the Suburban front suspension be a direct bolt in??? I mean there are like 6 bolts per side from what I saw. Would I be able to simply unbolt all my 4X4 components and install the Burban components???

Would I be better off buying two wheel drive A Arms etc from an aftermarket supply house?

I know I will need a 2wd tranny etc and I will have to get rid of my transfer case. But actually I could probably use the money from selling those to fund the 2X4 swap.

Is the 2WD Burban parts the exact same as the 2WD K5 parts?

I have seen alot of interest on this subject since 4X4s K5s are a dime a dozen and 2X4 are getting very hard to find.

I would definetly document every step for either a tech write-up article for others interested in this.

I would also need some assistance from some folks from the local area if they are available or would be able to help with the heavy stuff.

Is this idea a waist of time or is it feasible?

Does anyone have any inputs on this???

Thanks

Stacey

Last edited by Staceydude; 08-21-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Staceydude is offline   Reply With Quote