View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 05:48 PM   #174
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
That sucks about the c2c panels. The trunk drop offs I put on my 64 were perfect fit and probably the same thickness as the stock ones. These odd ball cars can be hard to find parts for unlike the Chevy trucks and mustangs I messed with when I first got into cars. I bought a 66 cyclone last year, if I ever do anything with it it will be another fun to find parts for car.
Amen to that!

A few more progress photos. I spot welded a piece of 3/4" tubing to the quarter panel to help hold its shape when I make my cuts. On the inside, I cleaned out most of the remaining outer wheelwell. I mocked up the new wheelwell to the existing quarter panel and surveyed the situation. I have a couple of things going on that I'll need to address. The 66-67 wheelwell is wider up front than the 65 so the pinch weld seam is inboard quite a bit more than stock. I don't think that will be a big deal since there's not much in that area except for the panel that the rear seat rests against. The real problem as I mentioned previously is that the ends of the new wheelwell are wider than stock. Not only that, they curve to the inside a lot more. I'm going to have to ponder this for a bit - maybe over a cold one.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote