View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 07:24 AM   #5400
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Good scrap is worth holding on to. You never know what you might use it for. Still working on this shed and Chris had some Mississippi cypress from a barn built in 1915 by some of his in-laws. His MIL has a framed picture of her grandfather in the loft from 1920. We scavanged enoughso far to do the bathroom ceiling and linen closet ceiling. We wire brushed it and hand sanded it lightly. Turned out great.
Looks great! Cypress is great wood for rot resistance. We used to have big cypress in the swamps of the Eastern Shore. I never knew that until I did work on a friend's father's house that I built a front porch on. His brother owns a salvage lumber business and he supplied the 100+ year old railing and posts that were cypress harvested on the Eastern Shore. I still have one end of the top rail with the mortise tenon as a keepsake

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote