View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 PM   #12
mr.mud1

Re: Major Disaster In Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Here are some facts about the bridge and the harbor.

All ships coming from the ocean and going back to are piloted by a US Coast Guard pilot from a point south of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. No shipping vessels pass under the Bay Bridge or Francis Scott Key Bridge into or out of the Port of Baltimore piloted by the ship's captain or crew.

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks security experts recommended constructing buffers at these bridge supports on the Francis Scott Key Bridge. That was deemed too expensive, so nothing has ever been done.

About 100 yards from this bridge is where Francis Scott key witnessed the bombardment of Ft. McHenry on Sept. 12th, 1814. That was what inspired him to write the Star Spangled Banner.

Ft. Carroll is a 3.4 acre manmade island located just southeast of the Key Bridge, built in 1848. It was designed by and built under the supervision of Brevet-Colonel Robert E. Lee
so sad,it's the same here in Halifax Harbour where there are 2 huge container piers,one being expanded to be able to take the newest,bigger ships.there are 2 bridges across the harbour from Halifax to Dartmouth,the ships have to pass one bridge to get to the newest,biggest pier.we had the Halifax Explosion where 2 ships collided in the harbour during WW 1,flattening the city and killing thousands.ships had to follow rules but that day,one didn't but ships entering and leaving have to have,one of the Harbour pilots at the helm.only Navy and Military ships can come and go,one their own.i've been out fishing a few miles out from the mouth of the harbour with my dad on his boat and seen many times,the pilot boat there,waiting to pick up the pilot from a vessel leaving or to put the pilot on board to take a ship in.i think it was 30 or 40 years ago,a ship hit a bridge in Florida and right after that,the harbour authority here spent all one summer dragging barges loaded with rocks out the the bridge supports,tons and tons of rock all around them now.it's awful thing,feel so bad for everyone effected.take care all.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote