View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 02:47 AM   #4705
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The guy who built my exhaust system just decided to do it that way. Not sure why.
Well, if you didn't know -- It's an old hot rodder's trick.
The pulses from one bank of cylinders cancel out the pulses from the other bank, resulting in less perceived noise to human ears.
[Dogs, not so much.]
Also helps scavenging to increase low end torque.

I have it on my '71 Jimmy. Crossover is behind the transfer case. Symetrical with a V8.
With an L6, cylinders 1-2-3 have the forward collector, and cylinders 4-5-6 have the aft collector. So the cross-over has to slant diagonaly to occlude each other's detonations. [So an ''N'' pipe instead of an ''H'' pipe.
My C/10 Stepside was set up in the '80s at Simmons' Engineering in Tucson. My project mechanic was an old country boy Circle Track hand. He knew a few old tricks as Chevy Sixes were preferred in that event due to their quicker hole shot response.

X-Pipes are supposed to have the same effect, but I think when they channel down into one double tube, they don't get the scavenging the two interconnected tubes get.
IDK. Probably a good topic for someone with a Dyno and no other obligations than to pursue automotive research.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote