View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 06:00 PM   #5
sfont66

Re: What Brand of Stud Welder to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I bought a Harbor Freight stud puller gun and puller. Worked well for a hobby project like my 68 C10.
But if I was working in a production shop I would buy a slide hammer with collet like Snap On has. The Snap On slide hammer has a collet the you tighten more or less like a hand drill.
I agree 100%. I too have the Harbor Freight stud welder.
It works fine for how cheap it is. Definitely hobby Grade though.
The slide hammer leaves a lot to be desired, the way it grips the stud is not great, kind of fiddly . Years ago in 1987 when I was starting to buy tools I bought a very nice stud gun , professional grade, a Bluepoint if memory serves. It was expensive at almost $600 then. It came in a nice case and had attachments like a shrinking tip, but the best thing was the slide hammer was like LS short box described tightening similar to a cordless drill chuck , much better and faster for production use. Wish I still had it, never sell your tools or guns if you can help it…..
Attached Images