View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 09:04 PM   #12
RustyPile

Re: V8 difference 307 or 350 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
That post is 10 years old, but perhaps what he meant was that all large journal small blocks (except some 400 with more freeze plugs) look similar and are dimensionally the same outside. 2bbl vs: 4bbl is a good clue but in the last 52+ years of these trucks a lot may have been swapped around. Oil dipstick location helps with later blocks as does 1-pc rear seal if you can see that if it's on the ground with no flywheel. Honestly the stamp pad is the best way to tell what it is without too much work-assuming it's never been built and decked.
True about the age of the post, but be honest with yourself -- you have not the slightest idea what he meant, only what he said. What I stated here was also correct ten years ago and is still correct today. None of that alleviates the fact that the post was incorrect. This is a prime example of how false and untrue information gets spread over the internet.

I started building race engines around 1962.. The favorite sbc for some of the racers in those days was a Chevy 301 cu. in.. Do you have any idea how many ways that engine can be built using ONLY factory Chevy parts?.. (1) bore a 283 block to 4 inches.. (2) put a 283 crank in an early 327 block. (3) use a factory built 302 engine. (4) put that same 302 crank in a 350 block, just to name a few, but there are more.. And to top it off, none of the "factory stamped numbers" mean a damn thing in each of those examples.. Those numbers only tell what the block started out as.

Just for the record, I didn't revive this thread, someone else did that......
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote