View Single Post
Old 05-16-2024, 06:22 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Seven figures?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I had to laugh at this line from the article: "At the time, Chevy engineers through it safer if the rear-seat passengers were only allowed to exit on the curbside of the vehicle."

Sure, that's why there were no four-door Novas, or Chevelles, or Impalas. Or maybe they just didn't want to go to the expense of designing and manufacturing that fourth door.
Some very small school districts did use Suburbans as ''short busses.''
I rode to school, grades 1 - 4, on a short bus Chevy Suburban or GMC Carryall, but they were the Late '50s, Early '60s types. Two doors only. The driver had a long lever to open the door, and a leather strap to pull it shut. Front passenger seat was deleted. Plywood benches were built around the sides, and a locker room bench was set in the middle. Seat belts were only used by jet test pilots in this period.
This was a private carrier that served parochial and private schools.

Fifth Grade, I changed schools, and had to walk to school. Or take the CTA bus if the weather was bad. Of course [urban Chicago] if the weather was really bad and the busses didn't run, I had to press on regardless thru the driving snow, Southbound, like Capt Scott at the Antarctic.

Back on topic, I saw that article on the $1.1 Mil ICON Suburban in my Hagerty magazine. I was sorry they butchered a perfectly good K/10 body and chassis to start with. Why not resurrect a junkyard hulk?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-16-2024 at 06:45 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote