View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Exclamation VAPOR LOCK possibility (let me know what you think)

I just realized something...

When I got this truck, the exhaust had been split, but rather uncoventionally. The exhaust pipes lead down the exhaust manifolds and run outside of the frame just where it bends straight to lead toward the back of the truck (this make sense)? The pipes then continue back, on the outside of the frame rails.

Last week I tightened up the nuts where the pipes meet the manifold exits. In doing this, I think that the pipe on the passenger's side may just about touch the frame. With the fuel lines right there in the frame with those hot gasses exiting the engine close by, would that create enough heat after driving for a while to create a vapor lock at that point in the lines, to where the fuel can barely even get to the fuel pump?

This may be the problem. As I stated, the truck has had the problem as long as I've owned it. It seems to have worsened in the last two weeks, as it has taken less time to cut off since the "repair" was made. Also, it happens exclusively when the truck is not moving, and there is no cooling taking place on the frame rail or the pipe.

What do you think?

Last edited by sactoC10; 09-08-2004 at 03:35 PM.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote