View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #20
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactoC10
I just realized something...

When I got this truck, the exhaust had been split, but rather uncoventionally. The exhaust pipes lead down the exhaust manifolds and run outside of the frame just where it bends straight to lead toward the back of the truck (this make sense)? The pipes then continue back, on the outside of the frame rails.

Last week I tightened up the nuts where the pipes meet the manifold exits. In doing this, I think that the pipe on the passenger's side may just about touch the frame. With the fuel lines right there in the frame with those hot gasses exiting the engine close by, would that create enough heat after driving for a while to create a vapor lock at that point in the lines, to where the fuel can barely even get to the fuel pump?

This may be the problem. As I stated, the truck has had the problem as long as I've owned it. It seems to have worsened in the last two weeks, as it has taken less time to cut off since the "repair" was made. Also, it happens exclusively when the truck is not moving, and there is no cooling taking place on the frame rail or the pipe.

What do you think?
You may have found something, especially since it has worsened since a change was made. AND, it happens when you are not moving. Vapor lock is the "Boiling" of the fuel in the fuel line. This used to be quite common , but with the isolation of the fuel delivery from the heat source from the factory it has subsided to almost nill.
What you need to do is Isolate the fuel line from any or at least most of the heat. You may be able to do this by cutting a thick tin can up and wiring/bolting it between the fuel line and any heat source. ( Not touching either ) Now that our area is starting to cool down again, This problem should be less frequent because of the cooler weather also. But once you Have the heat source figured out, Get it fixed permanently.. IE: New exhaust, YEAAAAA...
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote