Thread: 71 Wrecker
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 10:54 PM   #21
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Pretty sweet...but why would anyone (as in a buisness) ever use a 1/2 ton for a wrecker???
Im just taking a shot in the dark here, but they probably had the bed on an old beat to $hit 1 ton w/ no motor, and they had a running 1/2 ton shorty just layin around, got a case of longneck Buds, and decided to get their redneck on.

just kiddin, that thing is cool.

A little bit ot, but could someone (Fred?) clear up a few questions I have about transmission run PTOs...I knew that with a transfer case mount PTO, you have to put it in N and use the transmissions gears. This is one of the biggest benefits of a PTO winch, you can winch faster than any electric or hydraulic winch out there, however you cant move the truck while winching.

But, when you have a transmission mounted PTO, you put the tranny in the gear you want to use, and engage the PTO, and it will work for whatever gear you are in (theoretically, I wouldnt wanna winch in 4th gear @ 55 mph, lol)? Would a standard single speed PTO work on a transmission, or would you need one of the multispeed units? I only ask because I know of a '70 C30 dump that has a 292/SM465 speed, and a chelsea pto run off the tranny for the dump bed. I am guessing its a single speed, and wondering if I could use it to power a winch on my truck, off of my SM465. I would like to winch while rolling (using wheel assist off road when stuck), that is another reason I am curious to using a PTO on the tranny. Sorry for the ot.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote