View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #70
landarts
landarts

Re: Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500

While I was waiting on the order to come in I got ready to remove all the masking, plastic etc from the paint touch up I did few days ago. The more I started looking at it I noticed the color was off. I also found an area or two that had some small runs. Remember the issue with the touch up gun basic malfunctioning in the middle of the paint. I swapped out to another gun and finished the paint.

I went back to the paint store with a section of the original rocker that I cut off to see if they could do a better match. I browsed around in the store and was asking questions about certain new products on the shelves as I was waiting for the paint to be mixed. Once he had it done he opened the can and held a mix strip next to the original rocker piece and it looked so much better. So as I was paying my bill he asked if I brought the other quart for a refund, nope I forgot it. He said bring it back by with the receipt and we will give you a full refund. Out the door I go.

Friday I decided to work from home so I got up early went into garage got everything ready to paint. Then I had an idea to open the new can of paint and put a little bit on a acid brush and paint it on to the old rocker piece to see how close it was. Then I used a heat gun to cure it up and compare. It was way to dark, still not right. I know that paint will look different depending on how it is applied. This was still not right, so back to the store with the both cans of paint, one for the refund and one to get fixed. I showed them the rocker piece and they agreed. this time they did a spray out of the new mixed paint. I agreed that it was a good match, got the refund and off I go.

This time I decided to use a new gun I purchased about a year ago, the Astro EVO4014 1.4 mm LVLP. Mixed up a little over 4oz of paint and off we go. Wow I was really impressed at how well this gun sprayed out. So now I have it all painted for the second time.

Saturday got around to stripping all the paper, masking and plastic off of the truck. Started to work toward reassembly, first thing up was getting the door weather striping glued on. I had a few new pieces of weather striping I bought for another project and never used. So I did a dry fit and cut to fit. Glued and taped on. While that was drying I got the lower door trim piece old adhesive cleaned off and new 3m adhesive replaced and attached to door. Installed the new dash pad and starting working on installing under layment for the carpet kit.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer

Last edited by landarts; 02-08-2018 at 03:12 PM.
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote