View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 11:03 PM   #41
burnin oil

Re: Would you swap a 454 for 6.0 to pull with?

Turbos are great but you cant just say it's part selection. Small gains can be had reliably but once you start running them hard towing little issues like ring gap and cylinder wall scuffing start showing up along with pump fuel quality and your mentioned heating. We are talking full power use for minutes on end not 15 seconds at a drag strip. I used to have a built cummins that put out 75 pounds of boost and an easy 750 rwhp. It was fun to drive and could really pull but you had an eye on the pyro the entire time to keep from melting it down. Diesels have alot of technology in them to make them live under boost and I had alot of add ons yet still managed to hydraulic a freeze plug right out of the block. I am sorry but I dont see a LS based motor breaking 500hp and living a good long life in an actual towing environment. You can hook a small 5k trailer up and get away with it but you are not going to yank a 15k pound 5th wheel sail down the interstate for long before you start to see issues. If you think I am crazy then why dont you see more dually with gas motors new? A couple grand for a turbo, piping, intercooler and tuning would be nice. I would love to save the 70 cent a gallon diesel fuel premium and the extra 10-15k markup for the diesel drivetrain. Not to mention high dollar fuel filters and 3 gallon oil changes.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote