View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #42
Ford Assassin

Talking Re: Would you swap a 454 for 6.0 to pull with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Turbos are great but you cant just say it's part selection. Small gains can be had reliably but once you start running them hard towing little issues like ring gap and cylinder wall scuffing start showing up along with pump fuel quality and your mentioned heating. We are talking full power use for minutes on end not 15 seconds at a drag strip.
15 seconds on a drag strip? Gotta be the slowest turbo gas truck ever.

I used to tow on a 6% grade for up to 30 minutes at a time with my 2003 Silverado doing 60 mph with the converter locked in 3rd gear. Stock bottom end LQ4 from a 2006 (larger/stronger rods) with GM LS9 head gaskets and a progressive methanol/water injection system for extra safety. This was with a built 4L80e, Yank Pro Truck billet triple disc converter, and Borg Warner S475 turbo, towing a 10k+ trailer. Conservative timing and tuning is the key. Any moron that doesn't have the proper fuel system on a performance forced induction setup is asking for a melted piston or worse.

Quote:
I used to have a built cummins that put out 75 pounds of boost and an easy 750 rwhp. It was fun to drive and could really pull but you had an eye on the pyro the entire time to keep from melting it down. Diesels have alot of technology in them to make them live under boost and I had alot of add ons yet still managed to hydraulic a freeze plug right out of the block.
Not sure how diesels got brought into a 454 vs 6.0 thread, but I'll play along.

Quote:
I am sorry but I dont see a LS based motor breaking 500hp and living a good long life in an actual towing environment. You can hook a small 5k trailer up and get away with it but you are not going to yank a 15k pound 5th wheel sail down the interstate for long before you start to see issues.
Don't be sorry, you just don't know.

I don't own a LS that isn't pushing over 600 to the wheels on any given day. The LQ4 in my K5 has been making 700 to the wheels in a boosted setup since 2012, put at least 60k on it since then, zero issues and the truck isn't babied.

Quote:
If you think I am crazy then why dont you see more dually with gas motors new?
A few reasons, first the EPA/MPG. Secondly they want to push you to make the 10-15k price hike for the diesel option.

Quote:
A couple grand for a turbo, piping, intercooler and tuning would be nice. I would love to save the 70 cent a gallon diesel fuel premium and the extra 10-15k markup for the diesel drivetrain. Not to mention high dollar fuel filters and 3 gallon oil changes.
Don't get me wrong, I owned a 2006 LBZ Duramax, and I have been a professional CDL Hazmat, Heavy Haul, 9 axle, oil field truck driver for over 20+ years, so I am not crazy to say a gas or gas/turbo setup is going to make the same power down low or do it with better mpg in the process when it comes to all out towing vs a turbo diesel.

That being said, gas vs diesel, they aren't even on the same level, as you say, in initial price point, ease/cost of maintenance, fuel price, etc.

So if money wasn't an issue, of course I would love to have swapped in a 6BT or Duramax in my squarebody dually. However, the original poster didn't ask about doing a diesel swap either.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote