View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #43
burnin oil

Re: Would you swap a 454 for 6.0 to pull with?

Diesel comparisons are because both are internal combustion and make heat. This translates into comparisons with cooling systems, rings, head gaskets, studding, oil cooling, piston coolers, etc. It takes fuel and air.

I to have a CDL and am quite familiar with bigger iron although I dont drive for a living. Heck one of my toys is a 51 Mack L model with a 673.

The question was about 454 vs 6l but I wanted to make the point about mechanical limits. My comments about fuel were not about reliable fueling but reliable fuel quality to push the envelope. I am familiar with timing drop and boost and e85 for octane. To be honest my old 03 2500 would reduce power on the interstate when pulling an empty car trailer after about an hour. I liked the truck but was less than impressed with a 6l. It was stock with a nv4500 and 4.10 gears.

I have no bias against turbos on gas or diesels but when discussing truck apps I will discuss both since they each have there place and towing was mentioned. I have a circle track built sbc in my k20 and love it but it also doesn't tow but it is worked hard. I have a dodge 5500 for towing and it stays at 500hp to make it enjoyable and reliable to drive. It has had 5 tons on the bed atleast 50 times hauling gravel (scaled) and to date heaviest trailer load of 23k lbs. These were legal loads at tires maxed. I wouldn't do that with a gas rig since it's just the wrong application. I would take a turbo powered Ls motor to lowes and get a hack of plywood on the bed in a heartbeat.

I still have the twin turbo 12v sitting in the yard but the dodge part died. It will donate drivetrain to a 57 GMC ton truck one of these days. I have also considered putting an LS in my 72 but keep deciding not too. The 400sb has served it well other than MPG and my 03 only got 14mpg empty.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote