View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
MikeB

Re: 350 to 250 swap i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I would not go to all the work and expense to change back to a 6. For what you will spend fixing the 6 you can build a healthy V8. You also have to realize that the crate is rated Net HP while the original was Gross HP. The difference is noteworthy. If I was to do it, I would find somebody who wanted a V8 and do the swap side-by-side. That way you both have all the little things that are hard to think of. Exhaust, transmission mounting, etc.
I'd be surprised if the 195 HP number is net. I think it's probably gross, given the very low compression (7.8:1 actual) and crappy heads. But I don't know how they came up with the number. Was it with a 2-bbl carb and single exhaust?

And it's said the 260-265 HP rating is with a 4-bbl and dual exhausts. Was that using headers or cast iron manifolds? And were the exhaust pipes 2", 2-1/4", or 2-1/2"? How about the mufflers -- stock high-restriction, or performance low-restriction?

Just occurred to me that the L31 350 with EFI, Vortec heads, and 9.4:1 compression is rated at 255 HP net. To me, that really says the Goodwrench engine is definitely rated in gross HP, because no way is it anywhere close to the L31 output.

But even a totally stock Goodwrench 350 engine with a late 60s Rochester 2-bbl and single exhaust will have more of everything than a 250-six.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote