Thread: 6L80 swaps
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
thor

Re: 6L80 swaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
just a ? Thor,

is there a practical purpose for going with the 6 speed auto? I understand the cool factor, just wondering
With the additional gears, you should be able to keep the engine (needs to be a Gen IV engine - 58x reluctor wheel - computers need this info) in its powerband instead of a TH350 for example where you wind the engine up, tranny shifts gears, you fall below the powerband and engine slowly builds power again, wind the engine up again, shift into third, fall below the powerband, wind the engine up again and no overdrive(s) like the 6L80.

Also, the ~4:1 first gear is really low for an automatic. Should make 4-wheeling more fun as you have better crawlability, make launching from a stop more fun as you've multiplied the torque of your engine more, make towing more fun as it again multiplies the torque of your engine to get that massive trailer/boat moving.

And it has two overdrives. If you are running at the freeway's posted speed limit, I would guess the tranny would be in 5th gear (the 1st OD). But when you want to really go fast, in comes 6th gear (the 2nd OD). It's kinda similar to the T-56 manual tranny that came in the corvettes that allows some of those guys to get ~28 MPH on the freeway when they are in 6th gear (although the T-56's 6th gear is 0.50:1 while the 6L80 is 0.67:1).

As for cool factor, I guess that would come with swapping a tranny that many have not swapped before. However, that also increases the headache factor too.

thor is offline   Reply With Quote