View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #97
83GMCK2500

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
yes I'm either painting the column black like factory or maybe an alternative interior color.

The factory column is made of pot metal and not easily modified. I needed the aftermarket column so I had materials that can be cut, welded, modified, etc. I also wanted to start with new parts. The IDIDIT is based on 70s-80s technology/design anyways, so its a 1 for 1 swap.
I love heavily modified builds that look as OEM as possible, I figured the column would be black...but now that you mention a custom interior color I dig it.

Makes sense, I haven't looked into or seen anyone analyze the materials used in the earlier columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
I'm using the late model turn signal stalk for several reasons. First it gives me cruise control that will interface my BCM, as they are resistor ladder. They aren't discrete switches. The wiper controls are on the stalk as well, which again will work with the LML BCM and the LML wiper motor, which I also will be using.

The previous location in the dash for the wiper switch will probably become the integrated trailer brake controller, which can look very similar at first glance.
The electronic needs make sense. In the original GMT900 column was high beam push forward on the lever with a momentary pull back to flash? It's been a while since I was in a 900, I don't think my dad's '11 is but I can't remember.

Oh, the ITBC...that is f***ing genius. I bet a billet slider (or stainless (easy polishing)) could be machined for the controller that looked like the wiper switch. Know anyone with some tiny end mills?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote