View Single Post
Old 12-14-2023, 11:47 PM   #855
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

I can say so far the tank making, mounting, plumbing, ect is working great.

The gas gauge reads full til the level drops, then reads fine til time for fill up. It's not as sensitive as the old style was when braking or turning.

Fill up is easy, drop the tailgate, open the lid, unscrew the cap. I can visually see the level of gas as it's filling.

It does not put off any noticeable gas smell in the shop when sitting with the garage doors closed.

The only sound the pump makes is a slight humming sound when turned on and that's only without the engine running to hear that.

Dialing in the regulator was a breeze.

Now, I am old school, I prefer to be independent. I can't help myself. Yes, that is a fuel pump mounted on the frame rail. I always carry a spare HEI distributor and a spare fuel pump in the cab.

I still carry the HEI distributor in the cab, but I now carry a spare fuel pump back by the gas tank. It's plug in is fitted to plug into the power supply going to the in-tank pump. The fuel lines that are attached to the spare pump are cut and have the proper ends to pull gas from the return line fitting that goes to the bottom of the tank. The outlet of the spare pump is cut to length and has the proper fitting to thread onto the line going to the regulator.

I have the threaded caps to close the open fittings to keep dirt out. Flip the switch and I should be rolling down the road.

No, the bypass line won't work off the regulator now but the pump is only 7 pounds, I won't need a bypass. If I need to bypass the regulator all together, I'll run the inlet line to the regulator directly to the carb inlet.

With all that spare pump work, I sure hope I never have to use it.
Attached Images