View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
I keep all the receipts from a project for return reasons , but I have NEVER once added them up at the end of a project. I never will either.
I could count to $12K worth of parts just on big ticket items when I finished an El Camino SS a few years ago
I am guessing I am around $8K so far in this truck.
It is cheaper than a Head Shrink and less trouble than a drinking habit! I am having FUN!!!
yup I haven't kept any reciepts just a mild running tally of costs. I figure no matter what as long as I stick with my plan I'll come out better than buying something new to feed my little sickness

The guy that's building the 71' with the 454 (pics above) told me he doesn't even ask what a part costs when he orders a part. It would just discourage him! I can't be that removed from it since my credit card obviously has a much lower limit than his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

Wish I could get a deal like that for $100.
You know I almost felt like I had won the lottery or something as I never, seriously, never run into deals like this. It's usually somebody I know who'll get a great deal and I sit and turn green with envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
What a killer deal for $100! A running truck is worth at least 5 times that much in my book. Plus, I love the factory turquoise color.

I would do the CLR & Scotchbrite trick on that thing. I just did mine (see my '64 link below) and it was amazing. Super cheap, easy to do, and man, what a difference. I just did the driver's side last weekend, and I'll post up more pics in the next few days.
I tell you, I was pretty convinced to do the patina look, CLR/Scotchbrite, etc. but when I went out to investigate I noticed that somebody in the past had sanded the paint down in many places. You can't see it in the pics but most of that rusty patina is actually down to bare metal!

So I'm planning on trying it just to see what will come of it, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to do paint of some sort just to keep the rust from eating the truck.

ol_skool_chevy had replied to another thread I posted with questions about paint vs. patina (meaning painting before doing the body work) with a suggestion to use 1 quart paint to 3 (or 4) quarts primer (sorry ol_skool I know that was top secret!!) which i suppose would seal it and also still be sandable...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=465457

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote